Post-secondary planning begins early at SJK as students navigate their credit bearing (high school) years within the International Baccalaureate Program. Our qualified and caring Guidance team provides career advice, academic help and personal growth assistance with an eye on providing students with the tools necessary to navigate their years at SJK and beyond.
Did You Know?
SJK graduates are extremely satisfied with the opportunities that they have earned for themselves upon graduation.
Guidance Services Snapshot
Academic Planning Support
- Short and long-term goals and objectives
- Course selections and changes
- International Baccalaureate Programme
- E-Learning and Independent Learning options
- Summer school options (local and international/experiential)
- Community Service opportunities and hour accumulation
- Support is all encompassing and may include social and emotional assistance as well as advice on personal and academic matters
- Learn more about the Growth Mindset at SJK
Post-secondary Guidance for Students and Parents
- Hands-on help managing the university selection and application process
- Post-secondary education (Canadian and international programs, admissions requirements and deadlines, scholarships, SAT, etc.) and GAP year exploration
- Career counseling
- TOEFL and ESL for international students
- PSAT & SAT Writing: SJK is Waterloo Region’s only SAT taking centre. This standardized test is a requirement for those wishing to pursue an undergraduate degree in the United States. SJK also hosts the PSAT as a way of preparing students in Grades 10 and 11 for the SAT.
Meet SJK's Head of Guidance
Mr. Ian Carswell
519-648-3602, ext. 317
Mr. Carswell joined the SJK community in 2007 and has taught at all grade levels between gr. 6-12 in a variety of subject areas, most notably physical education, mathematics and career studies. Prior to SJK, he held middle years teaching roles at Kingsway College School, Royal St. George’s College and Hillfield Strathallan College. He was drawn to SJK’s close-knit community and the meaningful relationships that flourish within this environment.
Mr. Carswell is most inspired when working with students on macro level ideas and aspirations, and guiding them toward realizing their dreams. Head of Guidance is a perfect fit and is a role that he has enjoyed since 2010.
Born and raised in Eastern, Ontario (with a brief stint in Brooks, Alberta) he attended a fellow CAIS school, Lakefield College School near Peterborough. He earned a bachelor of arts degree in psychology from Harvard University and a bachelor of education degree from University of Toronto. He is qualified with the Ontario College of Teachers in guidance, as well as junior/intermediate/senior mathematics, and phys-ed.
A former distance runner, he represented Canada on numerous occasions, holds multiple Harvard University records, is a member of Harvard’s Athletic Hall of Fame, and was recognized as Harvard Athlete of the Year in his graduating year. An outdoor enthusiast, Ian enjoys mountain biking, climbing, snowboarding, hiking and canoeing.
He and his wife Krestena are proud parents of three girls, Quinn, Micah and Kyla.